Application Guide Without Service Fee Guide you how to apply for studying in Lanzhou University & Study in
2017 Prospectus for Confucius Institute Scholarship Programs at Lanzhou University
1. One-Semester Students
2. One-Academic-Year Students
3. Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages（MTCSOL）
4. One-Academic-Year plus MTCSOL
II. Way of Study and Lengthy
1. Full-time study
2. Teaching in Chinese
3. Grant term: One Semester or One Academic Year for Chinese language study, Two Academic Years for MTCSOL
III. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
1.Scholarship holders are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials;
2.Scholarship students are provided with monthly allowance.
One-semester and one-academic-year Chinese language learners: CNY 1,400
Master’s program learners: CNY 1,700
The one-off settlement subsidy is CNY 1,500 for students who will study in China for one academic year or more.
3.The settlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied for half a year or more in China before enrollment.
4.Part of the outpatient medical service fees is provided for international students who are treated in some hospitals designated by our University. Furthermore, our university is responsible for part of the outpatient medical service according to certain regulations.
5.Accommodation fees are provided, and double room is organized by our school. However, we are not responsible for any expenses of any accompanying family members.
6.Comprehensive medical insurance are provided for international students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45) and in good health. Applicants should observe Chinese laws and rules and regulations of Lanzhou University.
▲ Scholarship for One-Semester Students
The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world, and outstanding performers on the HSK. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is the autumn of 2017 or the spring of 2018 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 120 on the HSK (level 2) and at least 40 on the HSKK (elementary level).
▲One-Academic Year Students
The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world, and outstanding performers on the HSK, or those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2017 and the grant term is one academic year. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level).
▲Students of MTCSOL
The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, outstanding performers on HSK exams, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world for taking the MTCSOL degree. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2017, and the grant will cover two academic years. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) and a score of at least 50 on the HSKK (intermediate level), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation. Applicants with specific teaching posts arranged will be given admission priority (certification by the institution he/she will teach for is required). Hanban will provide support for outstanding graduates to return to their countries to teach.
▲Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL
The scholarship is provided to Confucius Institute students from Africa and Latin America regions who would like to engage in the Chinese language teaching. Applicants shall sign agreements with the Confucius Institute or institutes to which they will be providing teaching services. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and a score of at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level). Those who pass the first-academic-year assessment and score at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) can continue to study in China for the Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. Hanban will provide support for graduates returning to their countries to teach Chinese language by recruiting them as local teachers and providing wage subsidies, etc.
V. Application Documents (In duplicate)
1. International Students Application Form for Lanzhou University printed in Chinese or in English (downloadable from http://lzu.admissions.cn/downloads).
2. Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship. Students should register at http://cis.chinese.cn, and fill in the application form online. Once registered, your account name and password will be sent to your e-mail address. Please print and sign the application form once completed.
3. Highest diploma and transcripts (notarized Chinese or English translation).
4. Three photocopies of the passport page and 3 passport-size photos.
5. Three photocopies of Physical Examination Report for Foreigners.
6. Photocopy of the HSK and HSKK result report.
7. Reference Letter and Letter of Commitment. Students attending Chinese language programs of universities in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the university President. The Master’s Degree Scholarship applicants are required to submit reference letters provided by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). A written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and sign with signature).
8. Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
9. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the duplicate of scholarship certificate and reference letter provided by educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates). Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers.
10. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof on number of teaching years and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for. They should also provide reference letter by their institute.
11. For students of One-Academic-Year plus MTCSOL, they should submit the agreement with Confucius Institute or their teaching unit.
1. All forms should be printed double-sided with real signature at the bottom. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
2. Applicants must send all the required documents by post (or express mail). Incomplete or invalid documents will be rejected.
3. The application materials will not be returned regardless of the result of application.
VI. Application Deadline
Applications shall send the application materials (e-scanning copy or original copy) to our school by April 30th 2017.
VII. Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at our school in August 2017, accurate time is due to the admission notice. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3. Students for a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by our school in the second semester after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Then, it will be decided by the Confucius Institute Headquarters. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the Scholarships in the following year.
VIII. Contact Information
School of International Cultural Exchange, Lanzhou University
Add: Room 908, Guan Yun Building, Lanzhou University, 222 South Tianshui Road, Lanzhou, Gansu, P.R. China, 730000